Thursday, May 15, 2008

Coverage from NMAC '08

Well, it's finally done.
Northern Michigan Anime Convention '08 (AKA Ani-Pock Con ;) ) debuted this last weekend in Traverse City, MI, USA.

It was seriously three months maximum of planning, that's all, and it all came together in one day! Now I've finally had time to rest, recover from the fatigue sickness I got from all of the planning and event day stress, and I've got my computer running now since I nearly broke it after all of the work I was doing in the final days before the con!
But I do report that NMAC was a hit. We certainly have a great convention set up for next year.
I do not believe any A-Pers came up this weekend in attendance, but it was still quite the little event.

First off, opening ceremony introduced a different kind of masquerade event, Mr. & Mrs. NMA, which, as I've said, and you can quote me, is like prom king and queen for those of us who never stood a chance. Well we crowned two winners, the queen got a tiara and the king, a Nabeshin fro. They got lunch with special guest Tiffany "Asuka" Grant, got neat gift bags, and even got the first dance during the closing ceremony and dance.
If you ever wanted to see Kip... well... here I am in the opening con video. Guess which one I am (not the married one).




(Additional note: Ladies, I'm not the married one!)

Miss Grant, our guest of honor was a hoot! She is quite a personable gal and very flexible with all the things we had her doing. She even helped judge the Mr. & Mrs. competition. Baka Savant Productions premiered their latest movie to the con as our opening film. They are a talented bunch of parodists from within the state who use World of Warcraft as their engine for storytelling in their online video series, "The Chronicle of the Annoying Quest". Both Baka and Tiffany sat in and did autographs and panels.

The dealer's room was great. It was designed for few dealers, but each had unique merchandise and they had lots of space! One such anime video rental shop set up a booth in the dealer's room which was run by the same MacHarborGuy at Geek Media that filmed most of our convention and was the reason we got Baka Savants! Rob at Geek Media was a tremendous help in our first year in making our convention what it was.

We also had the usual things, gaming room, screenings, fanart room, and something near and dear to me, the Maid Cafe. I worked as a butler while I staffed two lovely maids to serve lunch and visit with our customers. Cafe visitors could also check out a manga as well. One of the maids, I have a tremendous crush on, she's so full of energy and was willing to do anything and everything for the con. She did the dancing in the opening video too! She changed outfits four times that day. It was great having her a the convention and as a maid.

We also had some terrific volunteers who did panels and skits throughout the day. A lot of great people to thank, who not only volunteered time and money, but some good effort as well. Several people come to mind as I write this. I really hope that you guys can experience an Ani-Pock convention someday, any maybe, by how successful our event was, you may consider launching your own convention.
Do it, I say!

<< Return to the Front Page

4 Comments:

At May 16, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Blogger PunkChick said...

You know Kip, the offer to be my 4th husband still stands :P

 
At May 16, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Blogger Pocky said...

What!? Kip declined the offer?

Ps, looks awesome Kip! I'll watch that video right after finals tomororowwwwwwwwwww

 
At May 16, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Blogger Ogihci said...

yays for kip?
and also
why were you speaking, -rather confuzed-
Love the last name. lol

 
At May 17, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got to speak because I hosted the convention.

 

Post a Comment

Lots more cool stuff here!! Continue browsing...

Archives: (Oldest) May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 December 2009 January 2010 June 2010 July 2010 December 2010 January 2011 February 2011 February 2012 February 2013 March 2013 June 2013 July 2013 February 2014 February 2015 (Most Recent)