Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Google Chrome! Oh, the possibilities!

Google Chrome passes the Ani-Pock test! 


Ani-Pock is the first website I use to Christen any new browser since I ditched AOL! ;D
So? What's different?
Google made it!

You've got the basic tabbed browsing, auto complete/suggested addresses in the site bar, webpage "speed dial", all pretty standard or emerging things on web browsers today.

But now Google has taken what these browsers do best and moved everything to a lightweight program where every tab runs on an independent memory so they don't clog up the same memory pipe of the browser.
In addition, the browser is intended to be very application friendly! The design itself is very sleek and, well, chromey. I like this one a lot. In fact, I don't even like my FireFox layout and appearance so much, I changed the buttons to resemble the Internet Explorer counterparts.

Some of the best features include complete tab deletion. No more will fragments of a tab or tabbed website be caught in the browser's memory. Now, when you close that tab, it is gone for good.
My favorite function is the browser's process explorer. How many times do you use your own Process Explorer (AKA: Ctrl+Alt+Del) in a day PC folks?
Now you can check which tab is draining the most memory from your browser and... well... do with it what you wish.
For these reasons and more, you should download Google Chrome (Beta)!

Now when can I expect my Google OS!?!

Update: The one downside I've seen thusfar:

This is a shot from my process explorer. I've only got six tabs open but NINE processes of GC? I thought we got away from this stuff after tabbed browsing!
At least it is still a fast browser, definately less lagging... so that's a positive.

Also, the homepage button is enableable dispite what people have thought. Strangely, it was set to Yahoo! when first opened.

<< Return to the Front Page

9 Comments:

At September 3, 2008 at 1:48 AM, Blogger Yoshi said...

I'm predicting some time 2nd quarter of next year

 
At September 3, 2008 at 4:00 AM, Blogger Nek™ said...

The beta doesn't work for me. It's pissing me off so screw it. I'm sticking with Firefox.

 
At September 3, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Blogger Kami... said...

Oh! The memory is kept separate?!
That's NICE!
Usually in the mornings and at night... I'd idle on Ani-Pock a bit to read the news... usually by the time I'm done and only on Ani-Pock... FireFox would be taking up over 200mb of memory... not so nice :(

KiP!, you convinced me! I'm SOLD! I especially liked your ad in room2 :P

 
At September 3, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, how cool that someone was in room 2 interested in talking about GC right before I took that screenshot!

 
At September 4, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Blogger Kami... said...

:(

Seems Google Chrome doesn't like my XP Laptop :(
In Task Manager it shows 3 instances of "Chrome.exe" running... each taking quite a bit of memory :(
I could barely type on Ani-Pock without it freezing :(
I rather have FireFox that takes 200mb of RAM that lets me type vs Google Chrome that barely lets me do anything.

I haven't noticed a big difference on my Vista Laptop... but that one does have 3gb of RAM so... sorta hard to tell :P

 
At September 4, 2008 at 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woah! Three GiGs on a laptop!
Technology has come a long way.

Chrome does load pages quickly for me, and multiple ones if I close the browser and reopen the session again. But I do believe it is straining my overall RAM. I don't really know because I mostly have been using my laptop for interneting.

 
At September 5, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Blogger Kami... said...

Chrome opens 3 "chrome.exe"'s on startup and then an additional one per page you open...

1 "ani-pock.net" = 3 "chrome.exe"

 
At September 5, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oAo

I wonder just what happens when you close the two that don't contain the browser window...

 
At September 6, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not great computer wise, but I like how chrome works so far :O

 

Post a Comment

Lots more cool stuff here!! Continue browsing...

Archives: (Oldest) May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 December 2009 January 2010 June 2010 July 2010 December 2010 January 2011 February 2011 February 2012 February 2013 March 2013 June 2013 July 2013 February 2014 February 2015 (Most Recent)